Greetings Troop 113,
With school officially done for the year, we can focus on our first adventure of the summer, the Troop Trip to Glacier National Park! I hope everyone is as excited as I am to explore this beautiful part of Montana. But first, let’s get to the details of the trip. Hopefully this email will clear up any questions or concerns you may have, but if you still have any, feel free to contact me or any of the other adult leaders.
I have attached a detailed daily itinerary, daily menu and packing list for your use/reference. We will make every attempt to stick to this itinerary but will remain flexible in the event of any unforeseen issues (i.e.: severe weather, illness, etc.).
Emergency contacts for the trip will be Sean Flaherty (***-***-****) and Joe Reding (***-***-****).
Our base camp will be the St. Mary’s Campground inside Glacier National Park near the village of St. Mary, MT.
Departure for the trip will be from the Scout Building. We will be meeting at 6:00 PM on Friday, June 9thto pack all gear in the trailer and van.
- Everyone should plan to pack all their gear in the trailer except their daypack, which will travel with them on the train.
- Everyone is required to meet at the Scout Building to assist with packing and travel with the Troop to the train
- Scouts should eat dinner before arriving at the Scout Building
- Scouts must be wearing their Class A Uniform.
- Mark and Sean will depart for Glacier with the van and trailer once packing is complete.
- Parent volunteers will transport the Troop to the St. Paul Union Depot (see more about volunteering later in this email)
- The Troop will be travelling on Amtrak Train #7, scheduled to depart at 10:20 PM
- Arrival is at the East Glacier Park Village station between 6:00-8:00 PM on Saturday, June 10th
- Mark and Sean will pick up the Troop at the station and travel to our base camp at the St. Mary’s Campground
Our return trip will have us arriving at the St. Paul Union Depot on Saturday, June 17th.
- The Troop will be boarding Amtrak Train #8 at the East Glacier Park Village station at 9:44 AM on Friday, June 16th
- Anticipated arrival at the St. Paul Union Depot is between 7:00-9:00 AM on Saturday, June 17th(follow this link to verify the arrival time: https://www.amtrak.com/home )
- Parent volunteers will transport the Troop from the Union Depot to the Scout Building
- We will unload the trailer at the Scout Building and put away Troop gear before dismissal
While on the train both to and from Glacier:
- The Buddy System is always in effect
- You are not allowed to exit the train at any of the station stops along the way for any reason
- You should plan to carry your daypack with you on the train
- Any personal items you will need on the train (i.e.: medicine, personal hygiene items, snacks, books, cards, etc.) must be in your daypack.
- You will be on the train for approximately 20 hours so you are encouraged to bring snacks or meals for the ride or money to purchase food on the train
- Joe Reding will have a “bank” available and I highly encourage everyone to “deposit” at least $20 to be “withdrawn” only for meals on the return trip
- Books, games, cards, etc. are encouraged for the train ride but electronics are not recommended for the trip. There is no Wi-Fi on the Amtrak.
- Just a reminder – People will be watching you on the train. Set a good example. You may be the only Boy Scouts these people ever encounter – Leave a good impression on them!
While in Glacier:
- The Buddy System is always in effect
- We will be doing some hiking every day. Everyone will be reminded to dress in layers and carry rain gear. Weather in Glacier can be unpredictable.
- If you follow the suggested packing list, you will be prepared.
- All rules covered in the Troop Bear Presentation will be followed
- We will keep a clean campsite
- Daypacks and smellables will be stored only in the vans or bear box – never in a tent
- Have fun and enjoy your surroundings but always be alert and aware of your surroundings too!
Parent volunteers are needed to transport the Troop from the Scout Building to the St. Paul Union Depot on Friday, June 9th and from the St. Paul Union Depot to the Scout Building on Saturday, June 17th. We have a total of 23 people to transport. It is my expectation that if you have a Scout going on this trip that you volunteer to drive at least one way. Please either email me or call me at (651) 755-3906 to let me know if you are able to drive one way or both ways and how many passengers your vehicle can carry so I can confirm that we have enough help to transport everyone.
Please let me know if you have any question. I’m looking forward to a great trip!